Limit to num of shares?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Jun 1 02:03:25 GMT 2000

Ron Alexander <rcalex at home.company> wrote:

> 2. The shares question is OBVIOUSLY a SAMBA issue. From your response, I
> must have confused you. What I wanted to know, was is there a limit on the
> number of concurrent shares that appear in explorer for a given server.
ONE
> client NOT 10 or 11.
> EXAMPLE:
> I have 1 server with 11 shares specified in the SAMBA smb.conf file.
> Will I be able to see all of them from my NT client?

Probably.  There is a limit of how many shares that can be enumerated total,
but it is in the neighborhood of several thousands.  The exact number is
based on the limit of the browse list size.

Long before you hit that point, the "My Briefcase" replication feature will
stop working.

So it is better to limit the number of publically visable share points just
so you do not overload the poor M$soft clients.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network