Samba server as application server (e.g. X11 based)

Frank van Maarseveen fvm at tasking.nl
Fri Jul 28 11:48:39 GMT 2000

Has there been any interesting work done or experience with using a samba
server as an application server, possibly via the magic script facility?

It should be fairly easy to create the following situation:

-	A MS-W* user executes a stub program on MS-W* on a drive mapped
	from a samba server by a simple click on a desktop icon.
-	The stub contacts the samba server for that drive using a magic
	script kind of trick.
-	samba server chdirs() to the right place, sets $DISPLAY
	using getpeername() or something and execs knews or
	an xterm with mutt (just an example).

There are many X11 servers for Windows. Question remains how much work
there is left for authentication in the other direction, e.g. using
MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE. There might also be some work for chdir()ing to the
right place and of course for the stub program. It all looks fairly easy
to me so I wonder if someone has traveled this path before?

PS.
X11 communication could pass through the stub program giving a whole lot
of other possibilities.

--
Frank