a bug....help me

James Sutherland jas88 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jul 27 17:34:53 GMT 2000

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Punn,Kamal wrote:

> While starting smbd demon I am facing an error like this:
>
> Bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 ( Address already in use )
>
> Pl. help me , what should I have to do for coming of my smbd demon up

That's not a bug - it means you already have something running on port 139
- probably either another copy of Samba, or you have put Samba in
/etc/inetd.conf already.

Try "fuser -v -n tcp 139" - that should give an indication who is using
the port. Or run "ps aux" and look for another smbd.

BTW: This is NOT a user-help list, it's a technical discussion list...

James.