mkdir from Windows 2000

Tine Smukavec valentin.smukavec at hermes.si
Wed Jul 26 08:13:27 GMT 2000

Hi all,

we found out something interesting when trying to create directory along
with unexisting intermediate ones from Windows 2000 client.
We are using Samba 2.0.7 on
"SunOS 5.6 Generic_105181-17 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-4".

Command: cmd /x /E:ON mkdir \\<samba server>\<share name>\a\b\c
         (Neither of directories in the path exists.)

Reply from NT client:
---------------------
OK.

Reply from Windows 2000 client:
-------------------------------
"The system cannot find the file specified"

Important debug entries:
========================
- in both cases we got: Selected protocol NT LM 0.12

Command sequence on Windows 2000:
---------------------------------
- SMBntcreateX(/a/b/c)
  Reply:   open_directory: unable to create a/b/c.
           Error was No such file or directory
           error string = No such file or directory

- NOTHING ELSE!!!

Command sequence on NT:
-----------------------
- SMBmkdir(/a/b/c)
  Reply: error string = No such file or directory

- SMBmkdir(/a)
  Reply: New file a

- SMBmkdir(/a/b)
  Reply: New file b

- SMBmkdir(/a/b/c)
  Reply: New file c

- OPERATION SUCCEEDED!!!

Does anybody know where such a difference come from. Is this a bug in
Windows 2000 or should open_directory() function behaves differently,
i.e. should create intermediate directories if they do not exist?

Best regards,
Tine.