Fw: DOS filenames mangled - HELP please

R.J. 'Red' Clanton, P.E. redman1 at gte.net
Mon Jul 24 14:26:09 GMT 2000

This old dos program looks at the short dos name on the left not the
windows long name on the right.  Yesterday in the book Samba Unleashed
by Steve Litt et al., I found the an example using "mangle case = yes" that
referred to the name mapping from long names to 8.3 format.
Is this the one parameter that needs to change?
THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND ATTENTION!!

> I sincerely do not understand your description of the problem.  What I
> see appears to list both the short and long names, so the DOS program
> should be able to access the file.  Could you clarify?
> Chris -)-----
>
> [Charset iso-8859-1 unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> > This isn't romantic but it is needed.  Please Help.
> > It is fast and stable BUT when using an old DOS program we found
> > from a Win98E2 machine in a DOS window the command DIR :
> >      Volume in drive R is R
> >      Directory of R:\AA\SUNLAKE\Crd
> >     .              <DIR>        07-20-00 11:06a .
> >     ..             <DIR>        07-20-00 11:02a ..
> >     SL99-~#5 CRD         1,024  03-09-99 11:03a SL99-1.CRD
> >     SL99-~W8 IDX         2,048  03-09-99 11:03a SL99-1.IDX
> >              2 file(s)          3,072 bytes
> >              2 dir(s)        7,615.00 MB free
> > The old DOS program needs the short name.
> >
> > Here is the  smb.conf  file:
> > # /etc/smb.conf for RedMan Server Lx1
> > #============================ Share Definitions =====
> > # the public open partition for drawing data base.
> > [R]
> >     comment = RedMan drive R
> >     path = /home/rdata/R
> >     public         = yes
> >     read only      = no
> >     guest ok       = yes
> >     case sensitive = no
> >     mangle case    = yes
> >     preserve case  = yes
> >     browseable     = yes
> >     writable       = yes
> >     printable      = no
> >     map archive    = yes
> >     map hidden     = yes
> >     map system     = yes
> >     create mask    = 0777
> >     directory mask = 0777
> > # end
>
> --
> Christopher R. Hertel -)-----                   University of Minnesota
> crh at nts.umn.edu              Networking and Telecommunications Services
>
>     Ideals are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them
>     with your hands...you choose them as your guides, and following
>     them you will reach your destiny.  --Carl Schultz

"You have to have a dream to have a dream come true."  -- Walt Disney