Question about file locking

Rechenberg, Andy ARechenberg at Hasbro.com
Mon Jul 24 14:08:13 GMT 2000

Good day all,

I have a questions about the file locking behavior with Samba and certain
applications.

Does an application have to request a lock before Samba will impose one?
The reason I ask is because I'm trying to setup a box to serve files for a
mostly Windows NT-based network (NT4SP5, and some Win95SR2 boxes) with Samba
and everything is working fine (shows up in Net Hood, can browse fine, home
directories show up) EXCEPT file locking.

Only some applications actually lock a file that is accessed (Word, Excel,
AutoCAD, etc.).  If I use Notepad, Wordpad, or some other applications, no
file lock is put in place.  I have file locking, and strict locking both set
to "yes."

Here are my specs and a portion of the config file (there are more globals
in the config, but they do not relate to file locking so I left them out for
the sake of brevity):

RedHat 6.2 with updates
Samba 2.0.6

[globals]
strict locking = Yes

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
browseable = No

[_projects]
comment = Projects Folder
path = /home/_projects
write list = @projects
force group = projects
create mask = 0775
force create mode = 0775
directory mask = 0775
force directory mode = 0775
blocking locks = No
oplocks = No

If anyone could shed some light on this subject I would appreciate it
greatly.  Thanks a million.

Regards,
Andy