smb-tcpdump source code

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Jul 24 11:17:55 GMT 2000

Muthukumar Rathakrishnan wrote:

>  I'm trying to locate a source code for the smb-tcpdump,
> the utility that presents the smb exchanges in a fairly
>  understandable form. I am trying to install the utility
> in a Sun Solaris 7 OS.
>
>  But all the ftp sites I've come across so far has
> smb-tcpdump binaries for earlier versions of Solaris
> or sorce code  compressed with the .src.rpm extension. I
> was told that files with this extension are meant for Linux.

I've just re-uploaded the gzipped tarball version of
the tcpdump source code to

  ftp://ftp.samba.org/pub/samba/tcpdump-smb

Don't know why it was removed.

You will need to tcpdump-smb.patch, the tcpdump source tarball,
and the libpcap source.

If you have the gtk+ libs installed on your solaris box
you should probably check out Ethereal (http://www.zing.org)
as it produces much better (readable) output for decoding
protocols.  It will also read in raw dump files from tcpdump,
snoop, and MS's netmon.

jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com  VA Linux Systems    gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org       SAMBA Team           jerry at samba.org