smbmount with SSL

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Thu Jul 20 10:29:44 GMT 2000

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000, Lee S. Whatley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to compile Samba 2.0.7 with smbmount and SSL support

My knowledge about SSL is limited so maybe I'm all wrong here ...

> (configure --with-smbmount --with-ssl) so that I can do encrypted
> incremental backups of smbmounted shares to a harddrive but have been

... but I don't think this would work even if it would compile. smbmount
only does the mount, it then passes the connection to the kernel level
smbfs. smbfs doesn't even know how to spell SSL much less talk it.

> unsuccessful in getting samba to build thus far.  Everything compiles
> fine, but smbmnt will not link.  Here is the output:
>
> Linking bin/smbmnt
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lssl
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [bin/smbmount] Error 1

Maybe this should to one or more of
a) not link with -lssl and quitely ignore it
b) give a warning at compile time that smbfs/smbmount won't do SSL
c) link with ssl (and add the path to the library I assume is missing) and
   see what happens

smbclient should work.

/Urban