Samba & Unix users sync

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Wed Jul 19 22:33:24 GMT 2000

> Ummmm.... PAM is an open standard defined by an rfc? A pam module should
> be able to be compiled and installed on any PAM based system?

I think (but I'm not sure) that the available PAM libraries are BSD
licensed.  Samba (and, therefore, code derived from Samba) is GPL
licensed.  Writing a PAM module under the GPL and running it from a BSD
licenced PAM system means that the user is breaking the terms of the GPL.

That's my (poor) understanding of the problem.  Someone set us straight
here.

Chris -)-----