Samba & Unix users sync

David Lee T.D.Lee at durham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 19 13:02:36 GMT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> I believe that the problem is in the password hashes.  The smbpasswd file
> contains the Microsoft hash of the password, as opposed to the Unix
> hash.  Since it should be impossible to generate the original password
> from the hash, both sets of data are required if you still have Windows
> servers on your network.
>
> There are some things in the works that will allow you to use the Windows
> password for Unix login, if your Unix systems support nsswitch.

1. Do you have any more information on what is "in the works"?

2. Are you aware that activity has started in the last couple of weeks on
   developing the open source "Linux-PAM" to work on other PAM-based
   systems?  Having available a PAM module to handle MS hashes could
   be very beneficial to the many people who run Samba on PAM-based
   servers.  Coordination (or at least mutual awareness) of Samba and
   (son-of-)Linux-PAM activities would be worthwhile.

Hope that helps.

:  http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcl0tdl            South Road            :