Samba & Unix users sync

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Wed Jul 19 02:03:21 GMT 2000

I believe that the problem is in the password hashes.  The smbpasswd file
contains the Microsoft hash of the password, as opposed to the Unix
hash.  Since it should be impossible to generate the original password
from the hash, both sets of data are required if you still have Windows
servers on your network.

There are some things in the works that will allow you to use the Windows
password for Unix login, if your Unix systems support nsswitch.

Chris -)-----