stumped....

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Mon Jul 17 14:45:13 GMT 2000

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, Gerald Carter wrote:

> Has anyone every seen a call to malloc() result in a
> seg fault?  Very confused...

Yes, a few times. It has always been some code overwriting innocent
memory, possibly free'ing the same area twice. It has never been related
to the place of the segfault (which obviously is where you start looking
...). The malloc crashes because its internal structure is corrupt.

You may want to try some memory "safety" library (ElectricFence is the
only name I can think of now, but I have never tried it).

But I'm sure there are other ways to get malloc to crash, maybe you
invented a new one :)

/Urban