Changing IP Address

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Jul 17 14:53:08 GMT 2000

At 10:13 PM 7/17/00 +1000, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>ameron Brown <Cameron.Brown at 2020Me.com> wrote:
>> > Recently we changed the IP address of our Solaris server and our NT
>> > server to change over to a new VLAN IP Scope. Servers where shutdown
>> > and restarted, everything looked fine, email web browing, ping
>> [...]
>> > The Samba smbd and nmbd processes restarted fine. No other
>> > changes. Can no longer connect to mapped samba drives from NT. Get
>> > error:
>> >
>> > "Network path was not found".

Hmmm, in answer to the original question.  Check your wins.dat file. I have
seen a situation where someone changed the addresses in use, but the old
info stayed around in wins.dat, and even though Samba was restarted, it
read that file back it seemed. What we had to do was to shut down Samba,
delete WINS.dat, and restart Samba. All worked after that.

>Peter Samuelson wrote:
>> > First off, check your "hosts allow", "hosts deny" and "interfaces"
>> settings from smb.conf.  Try `nmblookup' on the Sun to see if it can
>> find both the Sun and the peecee.  Then use `smbclient' on the Sun,
>> try to connect to each machine.  That should localize the problem a
>> little.
>
>	If this doesn't suffice, start going through the
>	whole procedure in
>http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book/ch09_02.html
>	which also should exist in your 2.0.8 docs tree.
>
>	It's a expanded version of diagnostics.txt
>
>--dave
>[ps: samba at samba.org is the "how to" list, samba-technical is
>     developer descussions of internals]
>--
>David Collier-Brown,  | Always do right. This will gratify some people
>185 Ellerslie Ave.,   | and astonish the rest.        -- Mark Twain
>Willowdale, Ontario   | //www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/author.html
>Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com

Regards
-------