Feature Request: NIS support

Nils Lohner lohner at ecf.teradyne.com
Thu Jul 13 19:48:50 GMT 2000

In message <396E1966.144E669C at valinux.com>, Gerald Carter writes:
>Nils Lohner wrote:
>>
>> I would like to give everyone who has a unix account
>> access to it from a PC as well, and can't see a good
>> way to do that.  A solution would be either to:
>>
>> - allow all users who are in /etc/passwd (which
>> would include NIS) to log on and acess their home dir
>> (IMO the best and easiest solution)
>
>What do you mean access to the Linux box?  I assume you
>mean mounting disk shares and accessing printers installed
>on the linux host.
>
>ummm....we do this.  Plain text logons are validated
>using crypt() and getpwnam() (which will get the user's
>entry from NIS assuming you have the Linux box correctly
>configured).

  Hmmm... then something's misconfigured I think... or I didn't try something I thought I had.  Maybe I already had the user in smbpass which prevented his real passwd from working?  I looked through the docs (and FAQ) but couldn't find anything.

I have the users in /u/* and the /etc/passwd file has the NIS maps working properly (i.e. I can log in fine, see the dir, automount works etc.)  Any particular place I need to look in the .conf file or docs to see what I'm missing?

Sorry, but I couldn't find this in the docs. More pointers would be much appreciated...

Thanks, Nils.