Feature Request: NIS support

Nils Lohner lohner at debian.org
Thu Jul 13 19:25:28 GMT 2000

I have a feature request... I've just installed Debian Potato on a machine
and have it as the only Linux machine amids Suns (using Solaris and NIS) and
PCs using W95 and NT.  I would like to give everyone who has a unix account
access to it from a PC as well, and can't see a good way to do that.  A
solution would be either to:

- allow all users who are in /etc/passwd (which would include NIS) to log on
and acess their home dir (IMO the best and easiest solution)
or
- have smbpasswd be able to map a Windoze user (thus allowing to use the
windows authentication that you already have) to a unix path (or paths) that
he can access.

This feature would be incredibly useful and permit unix/win gateways to be
installed very very easily.

I'm not on the list, so please keep me in copy if possible.

Thanks,
Nils.

Nils Lohner                             E-Mail: lohner at debian.org
Debian Project                          Web: http://www.debian.org/