Multiple WINS Servers Enhancement

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Jul 7 20:26:52 GMT 2000

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> The impression I got was that most people running Samba in their shops
> were using Samba as their WINS server.  The reports are that it is more
> reliable.  In general, the majority of clients are Windows clients, and
> these are limited to two WINS servers: primary and secondary.
> Typically, the primary will be on the PDC and the secondary will be on
> the BDC.

Just to chime in, I know there have been comments in the past from people who
are using Samba as their WINS server and find it very reliable, BUT have
multiple sites connected by slow, unreliable links--in a case like that,
Samba's stability isn't much help when the network keeps you from getting to
the WINS server reliably.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer