Multiple WINS Servers Enhancement

Elrond elrond at samba.org
Fri Jul 7 14:36:45 GMT 2000

On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 03:34:37PM +1000, Gerald Carter wrote:
> "Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
> >
> > - It only works with NT WINS servers.
>
> Right.  I said that.

As Jeremy already wrote, this is a "documentation issue".
And it has to be documented clearly and in way, that you
have to read it, when you start to notice, that samba
supports multiple wins-servers.

> > - Windows clients will only be able to address two of them.

Well, that's their problems.

But it might even make some sense (provided, the
replication does the job the right way):
When you have a big company, you setup a wins-server at
every big place and the people use the local as primary and
a nearby as secondary.

So I think, a list is realy the nicer way, just give people
the flexibility.

[...]
> > This also means that we're going to want to implement
> > WINS replication ourselves.
>
> Nope.  Not necessary for this round.

Precisely.

It just has to be documented properly.

We can think about supporting it, which might make some
sense. (well, I don't need it, I'm not responsible for the
2 wins-servers here and I don't think, I can convince them
to use samba for that)

> > If you guys don't mind I'd like to implement this patch,
> > and modify it as described below.
>
> Fine by me.  I'm knee deep in rpcclient right now :-)

Fine by me too.

Can you (Chris) try and see, wether the patch also applies
in TNG?

Just a few minutes ago, I've merged namequery.c from HEAD,
so applying the patch shouldn't be a big problem (nmbd/ is
completely in sync, except for processlogon, which uses
different unicode-handling, and shouldn't be affected)

    Elrond