Nicolas Williams' source environment variables

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at wdr.com
Sun Jan 30 17:03:54 GMT 2000

On Sat Jan 29 2000, David Collier-Brown wrote:
>   I've been wondering about what programming primitives one needs
> in and smb.conf ile fro a long time, and Mr. Williams' patch
> re-raises this question.
>   In a very early version of the O'Reilly book, I described the
> smb.conf file as having all the basic primitives of a programming
> language:
>         variable assignment
>         conditional code ("include" and "copy" using a %-variable)
>         blocks (files, sections)
> but lacking a way of setting a %-variable.
>
>   This was too academic, and promptly disappeard from the book,
> but it is a decent question of the development team: how much
> programmability should there be in the main smb.conf file?

Wow. I've thought about this as well.

>   I've seen two proposal to extend the language:
>   One was from a site with a very large .conf file that contained
> the definition of all the shares for a cloud of servers. They wanted
> a way to ignore inappropriaste shares, and save memory thereby.

Actually, that would be useful: a share ignore parameter. It's value
might be a % token followed by a value such that if it does not match
the token's value the share would be ignored.

>   The other is Mr. Williams' proposal, to do conditionals on
> netbios names, and to provide a general ${env-var} construct, which
> they use for Samba-failover on a Veritas HA server.
>
>   On the other hand, smb.conf is a much easier language to read and
> maintain than, say, tcl. We may well want to keep it that way!
>
>   So: what about a way to set a variable (environment or %)? Does
> that buy enough to make it worth the extra complexity?

The problem is that smb.conf is way too static to really be seen as a
language. Once smb.conf has been read (assuming it doesn't change), the
only things that change are some % tokens which one can use with
includes to play some magic tricks. Whatever value there might be to
having a more generalized variable system would require more dynamism
to be truly useful.

That said, there's a patch for implementing 'open command' and 'close
command' parameters which allow one to define commands to run when files
are opened or closed. That is a very neat feature I plan to use and
which essentially fixes the problems with that awful 'magic script'
parameter. BUT, I'm still concerned about using % tokens to expand into
the given filename in the open/close commands; similar concerns apply to
the standard print parameters.

What I would like, and may patch the open/close command patch to do, is
to have smbd put the given filename in an environment variable or make
%f expand to the heax/base64 encoded file path name to avoid any
trickery a client might play with speical characters in file names.

Perhaps this can be generalized to a 'setenv encoded' parameter that is
evaluated everytime a % token's value changes. This would require
significant changes to Samba though, wouldn't it.

Also, Luke's idea of storing % tokens in a tdb indexed by <PID vuid>
tuples is really neat.Not only will it allow the DCE/RPC daemons to
implement standard_sub_basic() correctly, but it could even be used by
user commands run via the preexec/postexec/open/close/etc... parameters
(this would require a user-level program for retrieving data from a TDB
as well as a separate library for C programs to use to access the TDB in
question).

Hmmmm...

In fact, I think that would be a tremendous improvement.

> --dave
>
> --
> David Collier-Brown,  | Always do right. This will gratify
> 185 Ellerslie Ave.,   | some people and astonish the rest.
> Willowdale, Ontario,  |                      -- Mark Twain
> CANADA. 416-223-8968  | davecb at canada.sun.com

Nico

PS: Back in the days before online DVD rentals I used to rent videos at
    a certain video rental chain. Not too long ago they decided to start
    referring to their customers by their first names ("Here's your card
    Nicolas", "That'll be $X.Y Nicolas"); I guess they thought that this
    would make them "friendlier" to their customers. I absolutely hated
    this. I used to be "Mr. Williams" to them and it should have stayed
    that way.

    But this forum is not a store where some people serve others. So you
    need not call me "Mr. Williams".

    :)

-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-to a public e-mail mailing list I hereby grant permission to distribute-
-and copy this message.-

related financial instruments.