PATCH: 'source environment' param and % token subs for 'netbios name'

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Fri Jan 28 14:35:44 GMT 2000

Hi Nico

At 06:27 AM 1/29/00 +1100, Nicolas Williams wrote:
>On Sat, Jan 29, 2000 at 04:57:12AM +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>> >  - Also, on our HA servers it's possible to have two Samba personalities
>> >    running at the same time (one system fails and the other takes over
>> >    -- we setup our home dir and applications file servers to do HA
>> >    backup for each other -- we use the interfaces paramters to do this).
>>
>> whooooaaa.  MAJOR advanced functionality.
>>
>> nico, can you write this up, how to set it up?  that's kind of... really
>> important marketing points for samba.
>
>I believe I have written; last summer and fall most likely. In fact, I
>requested the features in this patch.

This sort of feature is so important for HA that I am about to commit your
patches to 2.0.7, if Jeremy hasn't already done it.

If Jeremy doesn't like the patch, he can argue about it.

>Search the archives (and fix the links :)
>
>Once we're ready to roll out Samba 2.0.6 (or 2.0.7) with this patch I'll
>re-write the scripts we use and do a write up on Samba and HA.
>
>BTW, the key feature for HA is the ability to bind to specific
>interfaces addresses. NFS has no such options on Solaris... :(

Now that is interesting (about NFS, that is).  I have been using the bind
interfaces feature for a while as a way of setting up for HA on a paid of
Linux machines I manage.  I haven't gotten around to actually implementing
the HA stuff, but will soon.

>> samba HA server.
>>
>> samba HydrA server.
>>
>> hey, i like it!
>
>:)
>
>Nico
>
>This message contains confidential information and is intended only
>for the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you
>should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please
>notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
>e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
>
>E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free
>as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed,
>arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore
>does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents
>of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If
>verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  This
>message is provided for informational purposes and should not be
>construed as a solicitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
>related financial instruments.

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course