[samba-tng] spoolss conversion is complete!

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Sat Jan 29 00:30:27 GMT 2000

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Jean Francois Micouleau wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > 1) it's so that other people can write alternative implementations
> > (including me!) _without_ having to worry about marshalling and
> > unmarshalling.  why should they???
>
> I don't know anybody willing to rewrite code when it's already available
> for free with the source.

yes.  it's a problem.

> > 2) we can replace the marshalling code with auto-generated code.
>
> Err! we could already. The parsing code is separated from server/client
> code since at least Nov. 97.

not quite.  see, for example, rpc_server/srv_wkssvc.c.  the _q_ and _r_
functions, which do the marshalling / unmarshalling, is mixed in with the
actual implementation of get_wksta_info().

which is bad.

> > 3) it's possible to write stubs like this, for use as dynamic-runtime
>
> if it's just for stub why didn't you renamed samr_open() to _samr_open()
> and created a stub samr_open() ?

the stubs are "marshalling" stubs, not implementation stubs.

the marshalling stub should _call_ samr_open, _not_ the marshalling should
call a _sub_ samr_open.

see http://samba.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/samba/source/rpc_server/srv_samr.c and
look at one of the diffs, it will help make this clearer.