Service-names and computer-names checked for in getpwnam

Mattias Gronlund Mattias.Gronlund at sa.erisoft.se
Fri Jan 28 15:53:10 GMT 2000

Hi,

Is there anyone that knows why SAMBA checks for the name of the
service with getpwnam when a connection to a share is initiated?

I have not identified the code that checks for the client-computers
name whith Get_Pwnam(), but I thought that someone might know
why this lookup is done.

The problem that I see with this is that many of thouse calls will never
succeed. And because Get_Pwnam() is used for the check will generate
at least five calls to getwpnam which in our case will generte non cached
requests to our NIS-server. This might also be part of  the "Slow network
connnection" problem that we still get from time to time.

/Mattias