Netatalk support in Samba (reposted)

Dan Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Thu Jan 27 19:16:35 GMT 2000

> I notice that the netatalk support in Samba 2.0.X never got completed; I'd
> be happy to work on getting it done (as I need that functionality here). I
> have checked out the HEAD branch as a starting point. Is that the correct
> starting point, or should I start from some other branch? Is anyone else
> actively working on this item?

As far as I remember, this implements the SMB protocol over the Appletalk
layer, as opposed to TCP/IP or NetBEUI.  It does not share SMB files over
Appletalk.

What's needed is a way to patch the Netatalk package into deriving a
shared file system according to what Samba is sharing, and something
similar for printers.  Files aren't too difficult to do on Linux--a
loopback smbmount, with the resultant directory reshared through Netatalk
would work, although it's a Gross and Disgusting Hack to be sure ;-)

Printing is trickier to use in this regard, but really it almost seems
like The Right Way To Do This is a config tool that matches the Netatalk
config with the Samba config.

Yours Truly,

	Dan Kaminsky
	DoxPara Research