SIG 11 error in V2.0.6 on S.u.S.E. Linux 6.3

Meile Andreas Andreas.Meile at onsite.ch
Thu Jan 27 08:55:08 GMT 2000

Dear Nelson

thanks for the hint. Note that I'm using a *empty* smbpasswd file because I
delegate the authentification process to our Win NT domain controller. Look
at my smb.conf:

[global]
   workgroup = TONILAN
   guest account = nobody
   keep alive = 30
   os level = 2
   server string = Linux-Server Leonardo-Entwicklerteam
;   security = user

; Uncomment the following, if you want to use an existing
; NT-Server to authenticate users, but don't forget that
; you also have to create them locally!!!
  security = server
  password server = nttowi01.onsite.ch
  encrypt passwords = no

   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes

   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

   map to guest = Bad User

; Uncomment this, if you want to integrate your server
; into an existing net e.g. with NT-WS to prevent nettraffic
;  local master = no

; Please uncomment the following entry and replace the
; ip number and netmask with the correct numbers for
; your ethernet interface.
;   interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0

; If you want Samba to act as a wins server, please set
; 'wins support = yes'
   wins support = no

; If you want Samba to use an existing wins server,
; please uncomment the following line and replace
; the dummy with the wins server's ip number.
   wins server = nttowi01.onsite.ch

; Do you wan't samba to act as a logon-server for
; your windows 95/98 clients, so uncomment the
; following:
;   logon script =%U.bat
;   domain logons = yes
;   domain master = yes
; [netlogon]
;   path = /netlogon

[homes]
   comment = Heimatverzeichnis
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0755

[WEBSERV]
   path=/usr/local/httpd/htdocs
   comment = Apache Webserver
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   create mode = 0775

; The following share gives all users access to the Server's CD drive,
; assuming it is mounted under /cd. To enable this share, please remove
; the semicolons before the lines
;
; [cdrom]
;   comment = Linux CD-ROM
;   path = /cd
;   read only = yes
;   locking = no

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = no
   read only = yes
   create mode = 0700
   directory = /tmp

S.u.S.E. wrote in a comment line that /etc/smbpasswd should only be used
when "encrypt passwords = yes".

About the original problem: S.u.S.E. shipped Samba in V2.0.5a on its V6.3
CD-ROM set. That version "smbd" worked correctly :-) as expected but
"smbmount" didn't work... :-( Because of hints that "smbmount" seems to be
messy in previous versions, I upgraded to 2.0.6 which solves the last
problem (smbmount works) but occured the other one (smbd crashs as
descriped).

At the moment, I use the following "work around": I installed V2.0.6 but
replaced /usr/sbin/smbd with the old 2.0.5a's one, so both things work now
:-)

I know that's not a perfect solution... ;-) but perhaps some of your Samba
cracks may have a better one :-) ...

                                        Andreas

Andreas Meile
Abt. Systementwicklung