net use/home versus profiles

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Sun Jan 16 16:49:30 GMT 2000

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Giulio Orsero wrote:

> uOn Sun, 16 Jan 2000 02:49:32 +1100, hai scritto:
>
> >> However, if this is correct, then "logon path" and "logon home" should
> >> become 1 only parameter for win9x machines.
> >
> >no, logon path should just be ignored, as it is still relevant to NT.
>
> Ok, do you agree on the following:
>
> 1) at the beginning (< 2.0.6) samba would always return (to win9x)
> logon_path both for the profile location and net use /home. Many samba
> users used logon_path to put the win9x profiles outside the home-share
> as the samba docs advised to do.

well, the docs are wrong, because you can't _have_ a win9x profile outside
the home directory!  sorry!

> 2) 2.0.6 always return logon_home. This broke the previous behavior as
> regards to profile location. Many samba users (I'm the 1st...)
> incorrectly thought this was a bug. Net use /home work.

yep.

> 3) Now it seems what 2.0.6 does is actually correct. logon_path has no
> effect for win9x clients and this is like it is in a win9x-ntserver
> environment.

yep!

> Using
> logon home = \\%L\%U\profile
> put the profile in the profile dir and at the same time let net use
> /home work because the win9x clients truncate the \\%L\%U\profile to
> \\%L\%U (valid share)

i don't know about this.  richard said that this occurs, however it seems
very weird to me.

> 4) 2.0.7 shouldn't change anything as regards to the samba behavior but
> should upgrade the docs:
> a) logon path is like logon drive, for nt only

more specifically, logon drive and logon path are NT-only parameters.

> b) when the docs say it's better to put the profiles outside of the
> home-share they should say this is for nt only

yes.

i'm not the one that does docs, though.  i agree with your assessement.