HP doing Samba ?

Mook, R.S. van (CIV) R.S.vanMook at civ.utwente.nl
Fri Jan 14 09:23:02 GMT 2000

I've been talking to HP about HP/CIFS (now CIFS/9000) since
early november because I'm working on a large scale implementation
(>7000 users) of Samba as a domain controller here at the university,
but now my NDA has expired :)

CIFS/9000 basically consists of 3 parts:

- some HP-built ACL stuff (it's been unclear, but I think this is what they
refer to when talking about releasing source)
- Samba v2.0.latest
- a PAM module to authenticate against Samba.

There was some initial talk about carging a bucketload of money for it,
but now that they've decided to give it away with the OS I'm happy.

Cheers,

Remco