Samba TNG - where is it broken? How can I fix it?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Sat Jan 8 02:18:16 GMT 2000

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Phil Mayers wrote:

> So far, so so. Using the "pure" TNG, not HEAD/TNG mix.
>
> I get the occasional error message:
>
> [2000/01/07 23:52:34, 1] lib/util.c:map_nt_and_unix_username(3634)
>   map_nt_and_unix_username: NT->Unix map DISABLED

i disabled this, for now, i will put it back when i can think what to do
with it.  *got it* :-)

> [2000/01/07 23:52:34, 0] passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_password_lock(78)
>   trust_password_lock: cannot open file
> /usr/local/samba/private/MODEMS.GW.mac - Error was No such file or
> directory.
> [2000/01/07 23:52:34, 0] passdb/smbpassfile.c:trust_get_passwd(239)
>   trust_get_passwd: unable to open the trust account password file for
> trust GW in domain MODEMS.

do you _have_ a workstation GW?  do you _have_ a domain MODEMS?  you you
_have_ a private/MODEMS.GW.mac file?

> I have added the server itself to the domain as a trust account, but do
> I have to join the domain (smbpasswd -j) to create the MAC file?

yes.

> LDAP specific bits:
>
> I haven't got any *huge* problems, but it seems a little bit of a step
> down. I use the LDAP code, and I'm suddenly not a member of any of my
> groups any more. It worked fine with the HEAD from november. I won't be

hmm, dunno.

> The questions I have are:
>
> 1) When was TNG forked off from HEAD? If it was quite recently, how come
> the TNG code seems in some ways less functional than the HEAD. I
> wouldn't really expect functionality to disappear...

which version of head?  cvs main was replaced at the same time samba_tng
was created.

> 2) If TNG was (accidentally or on purpose) made less functional, what
> are the major areas it was/is likely to be broken in?
>

> Note I'm not complaining (although it sounds like I am, I know... :o) -
> I'm offering to fix it, if that's sensible at this time. Specifically
> the LDAP code, which I rely on.

yes please, go for it.