Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) Resolution System

Stephen Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu Jan 6 16:02:38 GMT 2000

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> In OpenVMS, the user [200,200] and [300,200] are two different users.  Does
> anything like this occur in UNIX?  I will confess ignorance on that or it's
> implecation for security mapping.  [gid,uid] notation.

Under Unix, [200,200] and [300,200] (to use your notation) would represent
different sets of permissions, but only one actual user: a single user can
be granted different group permissions while retaining the same identity,
and user and group permissions are evaluated independently for file access.

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer