Security Identifier (SID) to User Identifier (uid) Resolution System

Cole, Timothy D. timothy_d_cole at md.northgrum.com
Wed Jan 5 16:41:45 GMT 2000

	Not all POSIX systems have 16-bit UIDs.

> Using a structure of a {uid_t low; gid_t high} to store the mappings,
> could
> it work out that a specific NT SID would map to a specific GID/UID pair.
>
> For those host operating systems that support ACLs, then an NT SID could
> map
> to a specific UID, or a specific UID/GID pair, or a specific GID.  I do
> not
> know if any UNIX operating system has the concept of a RIGHTS identifier
> separate from a GID.

	Not exactly.  Some ACEs (i.e. on HP-UX 10.xx) can contain user.group
combinations, however.  For the purposes of the ACL code, this would
probably have to be done like:

	That only allows users and groups in the same domain to be combined
in that fashion, but that's really the only case where it would be needed
anyway.