Using Samba -- domain logins

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Wed Jan 5 01:40:35 GMT 2000

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > I know that.  I just think that we have to develop
> > more parameters later on to mean, "No I really am a BDC!"

> naah, the ones we have already are perfectly good enough.

If this is the case, then perhaps the documentation should be updated?

>From man smb.conf:

       domain logons (G)

              If set to true, the Samba server will serve Windows
              95/98 Domain logons for the workgroup it is in. For
              more  details  on  setting  up this feature see the
              file DOMAINS.txt in the Samba documentation  direc­
              tory docs/ shipped with the source code.

              Note  that  Win95/98 Domain logons are NOT the same
              as Windows  NT  Domain  logons.  NT  Domain  logons
              require  a  Primary Domain Controller (PDC) for the
              Domain. It is intended that  in  a  future  release
              Samba  will  be  able to provide this functionality
              for Windows NT clients also.

              Default:      domain logons = no

Nowhere does it suggest that setting this option is a no-no if you have an NT
domain using the same name as your workgroup.

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer