Using Samba -- domain logins

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Jan 4 21:43:11 GMT 2000

Steve Langasek wrote:

> But domain logons = yes is also used to control whether
> 'network logons' are accepted from Win9x machines.  Does
> this represent overloading of the option's meaning?  Is it
> possible to separate out the Win9x network logon support from
> the BDC support, or did MS hardwire this by overloading
> the NetBIOS types, like they did with DMB/PDC functionality?

"domain logons" also controls NT logons.  Can someone give me
a valid set of circumstances where you would want Samba to
validate win9x logons and not act as a BDC?

In my opinion (at the moment) the two are inseperable.  A Samba
server (using accounts from a PDC) validating Win9x logons
should also validate NT client logons (and this is a BDC).

I feel like I'm speaking in a black hole here.  Would someone
please tell me politely to either be quiet or at least address
the questions above.  This is somewhat of a design issue I
think.

Cheers,
jerry
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter