Using Samba -- domain logins

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Mon Jan 3 14:49:25 GMT 2000

At 07:11 AM 1/5/00 +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>>         Sure: it's almost independant of security level:
>>         1) It doesn't work at all in security = share
>>         2) It works in security = user, server and domain
>>
>> [Question the code implies this is true: is it?
>> That's Jason's primary question, which I discuss below.]
>
>only if encrypt passwords = yes.

Hmmm, I am not sure if I have mis-understood, but I thought the following
was true:

   security = share
   domain logons = yes

is of no use, as it has no meaning.

   security = user
   domain logons = yes

Works whether or not you have encrypt passwords = yes for Win9x clients
(may need the Plain_Password reg files installed for plaintext passwords).

I have a site that does this now.

   security = {domain, server}
   domain logons = yes

required encrypted passwords ...

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course