Samba on VMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Jan 2 21:08:27 GMT 2000

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at samba.org> wrote:

> you need to make sure you do a select() on stdin or equivalent, because
> you want to check whether smb keep-alives are coming in as _well_ as
> keyboard input.  that's what wait_keyboard() is for, and i don't think
> readline usage copes with this!
>
> yep, that's a bug :)

It will have to be "equivalent".  The select() will not work, and I am not
aware of any other C function that will allow me to wait on two input
sources at the same time.

There does not appear to be anyway for the LIB_READLINE to do this.

The native OpenVMS I/O calls are asynchonous, so I can write a routine to do
so, but I have to look at the side effects.

Usually in OpenVMS I break up the program into ASTs at this point, with one
AST "thread" handling user I/O and another AST "thread" handling the I/O to
the network and have them coordinate their interactions through semaphores.

An AST basically is a software interrupt, in user space.  I do not know how
to express it in UNIX terms, but it is used mostly where you would use a
fork().

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net