Samba on VMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Jan 2 18:06:25 GMT 2000

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at samba.org> wrote:
> John Malmberg wrote:
> >
> > RPCCLIENT will require a patch.  It does not have LIB_READLINE support,
and

> neither does slackware 3.4 or irix.  what gives?  (i'm now using debian
> whcih TOTALLY rocks:

I do not know.  I have to go look up what the real specification for it as
it is not part of The Open Group Official Unix standard.  I did not know
exactly where to look for it, but now I know to look on a mirror for debian,
thanks!

LIB_READLINE is not supplied with OpenVMS, but the native I/O library
supports Read with prompt and single line editing with one simple I/O call.

The documentation describes how to implement a history function, but that
has a slightly more complex setup.

I implemented one based on the arguments passed to the routine, quickly.  So
I have a history function that records what lines are typed, but it is not
linked to the readline routine yet.

I do not know if I will implement saving the history lines to a file.
OpenVMS users generally do not expect that behavior.  I am guessing that the
LINUX implementations do though.

> > OpenVMS does not implement the extension to the socket library that
allows
> > socket calls to be used on non-socket channels.
>
> um.... such as select() on stdin?

Exactly.  That is not portable.  A maintainer of Perl for OpenVMS has told
me that a new official standard specification for the socket library is in
the works to address such things.  I do not have a URL for any independent
reference for the socket library, either new or old.  But the fact is, for
me it does not work, and while implementing a wrapper routine could be done,
it is a bit messy.

That is why the main VMS port patches SMBCLIENT there, but implementing
LIB_READLINE eliminated that patch for me.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net