samba-tng: Reproducible, incomprehensible segfaults

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Feb 16 03:48:12 GMT 2000

we've had compile-problems (well, i have) related to smbencrypt.c and a
couple of other files, before.

no reports or occurrences for over two years, though.

i suggest you try compiling without -O2, with -g, with neither etc.

also, a pain-in-the-neck process that i had to use to narrow down compiler
problems before (lattice c compiler for the atari st!) was to do a binary
search, removing functions.

in this case, you'd have to move them to... smbencrypt1.c otherwise you'd
not get a link.

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Steve Langasek wrote:

> This is very, very frustrating.
>
> For the past three weeks, I've been unable to get samba-tng CVS to work
> correctly on my machine.  Anything making use of libsmb segfaults.
>
> Linux/x86 2.2.13, glibc 2.1.2, egcs 1.1.2.  (readline is present, if you're
> interested, although this problem is unrelated to readline and was not solved
> by the recent fixes posted.)
>
> Then, the other night, I noticed that everything built just fine on another
> machine.  I could even copy the binaries over from the second machine to the
> first, and everything would work.
>
> A few upgrades later... trading object files back and forth across the
> network...
>
> The only discernable difference between the compile environments is that one
> machine is an i586, and the other is an i686.
> The problematic code is somewhere in libsmb/smbencrypt.c, and the problem
> happens sometime during the compiling stage.  Preprocessor output is identical
> on both machines, and if I copy the compiled output from the happy machine to
> the unhappy machine, the assembler produces properly working code.
>
> Very frustrating indeed.
>
> Short of a complete reinstall of the system, does anyone have any ideas?  I've
> compiled any number of applications on this system without difficulty, and I
> have no idea why I should suddenly have problems with this one chunk of
> code...  Is anyone else seeing similar behavior with SAMBA_TNG?
>
> Steve Langasek
> postmodern programmer

ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals