Samba as library

Claudia Moroder claudiamoroder at st-ulrich.suedtirol.net
Sat Feb 12 14:54:46 GMT 2000

Hello,

I know that every connection to samba starts a new smbd process. This way if one crashes, all the other can go on.
But having many smbd means using much memory.

Why is smbd made of one executable and not of a a executable and a dynamical loadable library ? This way there would be less memory used.

I' don't know how big the overhead is when i call .so libraries in Linux and other unices ( I remember on the amiga there was a small overhead ). If this is the problem what about having only the main procedure in the executable and all the rest in the .so, the way it must jump into the lib only one time ?

Andreas Moroder