SYSKEY, TNG freeze, 2.0.x->TNG merge and other thoughts

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Thu Feb 10 07:39:55 GMT 2000

> have big chunks of known plaintext, and access to the source code - in
> which case, it would need to be a VERY tough algorithm (therefore subject

correc.   that's why i subscribed to coderpunks to ask their advice.  i
have the algorithm i need.

> - and you just end up with a privileged
> private key file, which only your daemon may access, in order to control
> access to the data files.

all absolutely corre and according to plan a)

> > or creating an equivalent of /etc/shadow
>
> A good plan - t

plan b).

> here are reasons why this is the "normal" way of doing
> things :-)

there are reasons why the mit krb inpl. also usess a syske-kile algoritm.
and the openldap one.

plan a) is just as good as plan b).

> > or just giving up because i'm fed up with having to explain things in such
> > detail when  it hurt like hell to just damn well type.
>
> Hey! I'm the one typing one-handed here with his right arm in a cast...

:)

> > or just not explaining it, just getting on with it.
>
> Oh dear... At this rate, MS will want to adopt your code. It'll have even
 :)
pffh!

they'd have to release source to be absolutely the same.