Upper limit on browselist?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Wed Feb 9 20:42:57 GMT 2000

peter, i think what is supposed to happen is that the SMB protocl responds
"Errbuffertosmall".

then, the client -- if it's an NT client -- will use a DCE/RPC
NetServerEnum call instead.

except that there are so few sites doing massive browse lists, it's not
really going to come up very often!

SMB limit is 64k.

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Peter Åstrand wrote:

> Is there a upper limit on how many computers there can be in a workgroup
> or browselist? I'm using the Winsbrowse patch (from
> http://us1.samba.org/listproc/samba-technical/old/4608.html), and
> therefore have collected a large number of entries.
>
> More exactly: 1579 computers. This number seems to be a limit: There are
> lot more clients than this, but they are missing in all browselists.
>
> Were can this limit come from: Can it be a limitation in Samba or the SMB
> protocol?
>

> /Peter Åstrand <peter at student.liu.se>

 ISBN1578701503 DCE/RPC over SMB: Samba and Windows NT Domain Internals