SYSKEY, TNG freeze, 2.0.x->TNG merge and other thoughts

Nicolas Williams Nicolas.Williams at wdr.com
Tue Feb 8 20:06:23 GMT 2000

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 06:54:35AM +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> >    I'm now for it as Luke's LDAP/NIS/other name services argument is a
> >    winning one. The /etc/shadow approach should still be supported and
> >    used where no such cleartext protocols are in use.
>
> the SYSKEY2 thing also means that private/smbpasswd can be made
> world-readable.  sounds weird, neh?  WAIT - hear me out, before shooting
> mouths and telling me it's a stupid idea.  i didn't say make the SYSKEY2
> key world-reabalb, that _is_ a stupid idea.

No, what you're suggesting is silly. The SAM RPC daemon should always
run as root, so there will be no need for those become_root()/
unbecome_root() calls.

Trust me: the SAM RPC daemon should always run as root.

> however, the _only_ reason that we have to do this, in ALL samba
> user-enumeration code in samrd:

[... psuedo-code with become_root()/unbecome_root() calls ...]

> is because private/smbpasswd is root-only readable.  yes, there appears to
> only be a password in it, but there's not, it identifes which unix
> accoutns are also samba accounts.

The SAM RPC daemon should always run as root.

[...]

> >    The question now should be one of scheduling/prioritizing. SYSKEY is
> >    not needed urgently to allow TNG to make progress, unless Luke Howard
>
> correct.

Good.

> >    thinks otherwise (he's doing the SAM-via-LDAP-with-win2k-schema work).
>
> well, actually, we realy need to work out _microsoft's_ syskey2 for their
> password ldap fields.

Fine, then your SYSKEY idea becomes really low-priority ;)

(This from a lurker who hasn't contributed any code [well, one small
feature patch...].)

> and if we [or someone else, and releases code inder gpl] work it out, it's
> GOING into samba source code.

Sure. This particular case is an issue of compatibility with Windows
2000: supporting the use of Samba DCs as part of an ActiveDirectory
system (strange, eh? but doable).

> >  - TNG code freeze
> >
> >    Don't do it yet; wait a few more weeks. So much progress is taking
> >    place that it seems worthwhile to wait a bit longer.
>
> hm.
>
> >  - 2.0.x->TNG merge
> >
> >    This should be easy, actually: take smbd code from 2.0.x as is, drop
> >    all the MSRPC code save for the loopback to MSRPC daemons code.
> >
> >    That's it.
>
> not quite.  there are three things:
>
> 1) clientgen.c, pwd_cache.c and other password-related code for NTLMv2
> support samba tng doesn't work without the support of this code.
>
> 2) authorise_login(), password_ok(), pass_check(), smb_password_ok(),
> pass_check_smb(), all take const char* user, const char*domain - they
> shouldn't, these s houls be UNICODE - and return a NET_USER_INFO_3
> structure which is stored in the user_struct structure.
>
> 3) user_structs are now not stored in memory of the smbd process, they are
> stored in a vuser.tdb database.  the key is the smbd pid + the smbd SMB
> vuid field.  this is so this info can be accessed from an msrpc daemon in
> order to be able to do a standard_sub_vuser() call. standard_sub_vuser(),
> and all... 20 or so uses of it, need to be updated, too, in 2_0.
>
> YES, i damn well needed standard_sub_vuser(), i wouldn't bother modifying
> smbd code that is 2 years out-of-date, otherwise.

Yes, finish (2) and (3) and merge in the rest of smbd from 2.0.x + (1)
into TNG and you've got a TNG that is production quality for file
serving and still a bit alpha for domain serving but getting there.

> i think that's all.  if someone wants to take each of these things,
> starting in that order, there'd be lots of grateful people around.  oh and
> you'd be entitled to a samba team t-shirt, of course.

ah, uh, well, ah, I'm busy (scurries off).

:)

Nico
-DISCLAIMER: an automatically appended disclaimer may follow. By posting-
-to a public e-mail mailing list I hereby grant permission to distribute-
-and copy this message.-

related financial instruments.