Preallocated file size...

David Collier-Brown davecb at canada.sun.com
Tue Feb 8 17:43:36 GMT 2000

"Luis Claudio R. Goncalves" wrote:
>     Following this message there's a little patch that "corrects" a weird
> behavior (or feature) of reply.c - at least in Linux and Solaris boxes.
>     If you're writing a file in the disk and you reach the quota roof, the
> file will be truncated and zero filled 'till its nominal size - it isn't
> a Samba problem, it's a filesystem feature.

	Oy! I don't think I like that (:-))

	Could you clarify slightly?  I would expect
	the file to be truncated, at the limit of the
	quota (or of the physical disk), but I don't
	grok the zero-filled part.
	Do you mean if I ask for 4 KB and only have one
	left, I get 1 KB of data and 3 KB of nulls?

	If so, that sounds like a bug in Solaris/Linux:
	I claim I should get exactly and only 1 KB
	of data, and the file length should indicate
	the file ends with that particular 1 KB.

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com