Using NT registry calls to solve CR-LF issue with text files.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at samba.org
Mon Feb 7 21:32:15 GMT 2000

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Gunnar Degnbol wrote:

> At 13:32 07-02-2000 +1100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > > It might be possible to add a property sheet to files on Samba shares with
> > > the Unix file attributes/owner. It would require some way to communicate
> > > the attributes, preferably within the SMB session. Perhaps squatting an
> > > unused information level somewhere ?
> >
> >it's been done before, but not made publicly available (requires
> >installation of dll on clients0.  it's a commercial solution.
>
> I think that must be SunLink/Totalnet ?  I believe it includes some kind of
> shell extension for changing Unix attributes.  But I didn't study it in
> detail before I replaced it with Samba.
>
> >go for it.
> Ok.  I have looked a little more at it, but it doesn't just require a
> client DLL, it also needs support in Samba.  I have only figured half the
> solution (getting the attributes), and it involves a gross hack on the SMB
> protocol.  I am not sure what the policy on extending Microsoft's protocols
> is, if there is one.

:) don't worry about them.  it's not "their" protocol.

there are reserved spaces in the SMB stuff, so don't worry about it.

if it gets out there, and used, microsoft will have to accept it.

> It should not be neccessary to open a file to get the attributes, nor
> should it be neccessary to get the attributes of all the open files in a
> directory tree when only one file or one directory is needed.  Also,
> Windows 95 can't return more than 64 KB of information in one function call.

this is an SMB limitation.

it's got-around by moving to DCE/RPC, which is what DCOM uses.  have yuou
done DCOM work before?