Generating RPM files for Linux distros

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Sun Feb 6 19:09:30 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have had no end of trouble building packages for Samba on various
flavours of Linux (RedHat, SuSE, TurboLinux).  Things like too aggressive a
choice of GLIBC libraries, inability to build some programs, and the
requirement to build smbfs as well as Samba.

However, RedHat seems to be very much behind in providing packages.

I was wondering what people felt about the advisability of trying to build
your own packages.  That is, advising people to build their own.

The alternative is to suggest that people use the standard UNIX places for
files (/usr/local/samba) rather than the standard Linux places (all over
the place).

If you want to enable optios that are not in the packages provided by
Distros or up on www.samba.org, then you will have to rebuild in anycase,
and I suspect that making RPMs may simply be too hard?

Regards
-------
Richard Sharpe, sharpe at ns.aus.com, Master Linux Administrator :-),
Co-author, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba in 24 Hours
Author: First Australian 5-day, intensive, hands-on Linux SysAdmin course