Using NT registry calls to solve CR-LF issue with text files.

Beau Kuiper ekuiperba at cc.curtin.edu.au
Sun Feb 6 07:17:24 GMT 2000

On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> The mention of looking up performance data from the registry gave me an
> idea.
>
> With the registry calls that you can do now, is it possible or practical to
> look up the file type in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT before it is transferred, and if
> it is registered as a known text type to translate the CR-LF information as
> the file is being transferred?
>
> Just a thought.

A very evil thought. They tried to do that with the linux msdos filesystem
support. It really stuffed life up for many people with scilent data
corruption. To do the same with samba would be not to learn from the
mistakes of others. to be specific: YOU CAN NEVER DETERMINE WHAT IS STORED
IN A FILE GIVEN THE NAME OF THE FILE :-)

Beau Kuiper
ekuiperba at cc.curtin.edu.au