preallocated file size

Maulik Desai mdesai at Omneon.com
Sat Feb 5 01:23:06 GMT 2000

Hi,

> Terry McCoy wrote:
> > Hmmm...  I wonder how they handle incomplete file transfers, but
> >          that's a potential problem for another day :>)
>
> 	I suspect they'll fail on the write to the intended end of
> 	file, allowing the copy program (in this case file manager,
> 	~= NT explorer) to stop quickly.  I fear that subsequent
> 	writes aren't checked...

A while back I had observed that Samba didn't seem to handle incomplete
file transfers properly. When I used explorer to write a file on samba
server (drag & drop) and canceled it before it was completely written, the
(corrupt) file still existed in the directory instead of being deleted. It
appears that NT handles this correctly by deleting the file if it
was canceled before completely written.

Can someone please verify this? if this is true, then this is a bug
in Samba - right?

I'm using Samba 2.0.5a on RH Linux 6.0; client was NT 4.0 w/s.

thanks,
Maulik