preallocated file size

Terry McCoy terry at nd.edu
Thu Feb 3 20:13:57 GMT 2000

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, David Collier-Brown wrote:

> 	It appears to be client-side behavior: it doesn't
> 	happen with smbclient, so I'll assume it's an idiom
> 	used on Windows filesystems to get an early failure,
> 	thus saving the user a long wait just to find out
> 	that the copy failed...

Yes you are correct, I verified this by having an NT client mount
a share on an NT file server and copy a 160MB file.  Sure enough
on the NT server the file was created and its size set to 160MB
while the copy was in progress.

Hmmm...  I wonder how they handle incomplete file transfers, but
         that's a potential problem for another day :>)

> 	Can you tell us what the result is on the Windows side?
> 	I fear it's: "the program appeared to succeed, but the file
> 	is silently truncated if there isn't enough disk space".
> 	That would be bad (;-)).  If it is, can you tell us what
> 	programs suffer from it?

I am still looking into this, the users are using the GUI file manager
and I am not getting precise enough information about what the error
messages are.

Wondering if this is specific to NT or does Win 95/98 behave the same?

Do you know if this a client side option for NT/98/95?

Terry McCoy                             email:  terry at nd.edu
Sr Systems Engineer                     phone:  (219) 631-4274
Enterprise Systems Software
Office of Information Technologies
University of Notre Dame