Samba pre-2.0.7 snapshot available. (VxFS patch)

Shirish Kalele kalele at veritas.com
Wed Feb 2 21:41:11 GMT 2000

> > On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, David Lee wrote:
> >
> > > Status report.  (Possibly more to follow, but things are busy, so I'd
> > > better fire this off now, rather than leaving it all until too late.)
> > >
> > > o  No sign of the inclusion of Veritas quotas (Solaris 2.x)
functionality?

--
Hi David,

Veritas is okay with including your VxFS patch for quotas on Solaris with
certain reservations.

This patch is required because Solaris' quotactl() call is UFS specific and
doesn't take the VFS switch route. We believe Sun will eventually fix this
bug in Solaris, and the quotactl() system call will then work on VxFS file
systems, including NFS mounted VxFS file systems. So you might want to
modify the patch to try the quotactl(2) system call first before diving into
VxFS specific code.

Also, as you know, the quotactl() interface developed for VxFS is private
and so can change without notice from version to version. Also, the header
files to include will also change with the interface. So, the patch should
have this warning that the vxfs quotactl() interface is subject to change
without notice and we do not guarantee that it will work on VxFS releases
later than 3.3.3.
Also, consequently there will need to be multiple patches in Samba, with the
patch
to use depending on the underlying VxFS version.

With these points in mind, Veritas welcomes including your patch in Samba.
And we'll do our best to keep the patch updated.

Cheers,
Shirish