Nicolas Williams' source environment variables

Dan Kaminsky effugas at best.com
Wed Feb 2 14:39:21 GMT 2000

Rather than turning smb.conf into YASL(Yet Another Scripting Language),
perhaps it'd be better to keep it hook based, but with a twist:

Presently, we include outside files.  Why not allow inclusion based upon
outside executables?  We can use environment variables to pass all of
Samba's variables into the outside process, and with almost every existing
scripting language able to parse environment variables, we automatically
become compatible with whatever scripting language the user posseses.

Include Exec would take two forms:

1) include exec = <executable which outputs valid smb.conf parameters>
2) parameter = `cat /etc/parameter`

#2 allows for cheap one liner perl scripts to do their work.

Problems?  Security's an issue, but I don't see all that much more of a
threat than we already have...

Thoughts?

Yours Truly,

	Dan Kaminsky