Cross-subnet browsing.

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Tue Feb 1 01:23:11 GMT 2000

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Giulio Orsero wrote:

> >Is this realy true that we need a Samba (or NT) server on each subnet for
> >each workgroup ???
> There was a discussion about this issue sometime ago.
> Samba docs and some MS kb articles suggest that win9x should be able to
> do it.

Which Samba docs suggest that Win9x can be a local master browser?  The only
information I've ever seen makes it quite clear that Win9x doesn't carry out
LMB functionality properly.

> This is one of the articles
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q148/5/27.asp

I can't see any differences between the configuration described in this
article, and the configurations that I've used; yet I have never seen Win95
function as a proper LMB.

Are there other KB articles which give more information about how to make this
work?

-Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer