libsmbclient: Browsing and a URI spec?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at nts.umn.edu
Sun Dec 31 12:48:17 GMT 2000

> I would like to provide additional routines to list workgroups, but this
> itself may require the provision of authentication information, as the
> process of listing the workgroups requires a connection (NetBT) to the
> backup browser, and a TCON to the IPC$ share.  This may require a
> SessionSetup&X with a valid username and password pair.

Yes, looking at my trace I see a session setup with a tree connect to the
IPC$ share.  This in order to get the list of servers... the browse list.

That being the case, then I again say that getting the browse list is
little different from getting a share list from a server, and that the
semantics that I described in my last message make sense.

I had thought that the browse list was handled entirely by datagram
(UDP/138) but I see now that I was thinking only of the building of the
list, not access to the list.

Chris -)-----