smb://

Michael B. Allen mballen at erols.com
Fri Dec 29 23:08:46 GMT 2000

On Fri, Dec 29, 2000 at 09:20:15AM -0500, Michael Sweet wrote:
> "Christopher R. Hertel" wrote:
> > Not necessary, since the purpose of the ntdomain field is to
> > identify the authentication server.  If it's a workgroup, then
> > the server itself (that is, <srvname>) will do the authentication.
>
> Um, but what if you want to browse servers in a particular domain
> or workgroup?

Then it's just

smb://workgroup

Which the application can then choose to query as such via #1D(presumably
only after it querys for a server#00 of that name).

> Also, one problem I ran into with smbspool was that you had to
> specify the workgroup of a server if it was not in the current
> workgroup - otherwise smbspool wouldn't need the workgroup in the
> URI at all... :(

Perhaps your confusing workgroup with domain? Otherwise this is
a deficency in the smbspool software because there's nothing that
smbspool cannot get from a normal name query. In the context of the smb
URI standard the workgroup is needed *only for browsing* and not for
resolving a credible resource.

--
signature pending