smb://

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Fri Dec 29 17:31:30 GMT 2000

On Fri, 29 Dec 2000, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:

> is a request to list available services, whether these be actual file
> services or a directory of servers offering services.

> I also ask folks to play with Microsoft's Network Neighborhood.  Start at
> the top-level "Entire Network" and drill down.  This is the functionality
> we will want to replicate.

With the difference that Microsoft's network neighborhood is entirely
GUI-driven.  If we're just doing that, no problem.  But there's no MS
precedent for textually accessing a browse list.  Start->Run \\workgroup
doesn't work, only Start->Run \\server.  So we're not just replicating
Microsoft functionality here, we're breaking new ground... and any mistakes
will be ours, not Microsoft's :)

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer